Your cart is currently empty!
Now is 40
I try to get a good shave once every ten years, if I need it or not. I just celebrated a birthday that ended in zero and got my decennial shearing. I looked up the word decennial, it means an event that happens once every ten years. It’s a fun word but I can’t see it getting much usage in my regular vocabulary.
The big 4-0 doesn’t feel like a big deal. Age is not something that gets me down. I spend a lot of time acting like a kid. However, it must be effecting me in some deep psychological way. I have been a little bummed all day. Although, in my defense, all of my kids were jerks. I had trouble making myself do the work that was on my list for today. All I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch cartoons with the twins.
I got completely consumed working on several different projects over the winter. I learned a lot and accomplished some things that make me happy. With the coming of spring, I have been focusing on playing more live shows and am realizing how important they are. The shows have been good and we have been able to make some connections with real live people through our music. I guess that is what it is all about. I become so consumed by the art I am trying to make, I forget that it’s worthless until it connects with another living individual. So, I can continue my obsessive run through all of my good ideas but my top priority needs to be live shows. Live shows are essential for all of the art to find purpose.
For my 40th birthday, here is a recap of everything we are working on now:
- Playing more live show
- We are re-issuing the Princess and the Hero album. It’s been far more daunting than expected but I am learning a lot about sending automated emails. I love the new artwork.
- My oldest child is curating lyrics on my Instagram feed. It’s a great way to teach her about design and social media in a safe way and I get free labor out of it.
- We are still doing Breakfast with Brother Jack and constantly trying to tweak it so that it works better. I’ve also been trying to post reruns to YouTube in an attempt to learn that platform. The show has been very helpful in my attempts to learn about Facebook advertising and how to build an audience there.
- I have three different studio projects on which I am working. Studio work feels like the most important thing. However, it’s completely meaningless until it connects with another person. I’ll let you know when it’s ready for your ears.
- I’m working on the details to do a live recording as well. It would feature some of the Irish tunes we do with the Lost Cause and some of the story telling that I have been into lately.
- We are trying to work out the details for a weekly jam. I am not sure how to make it interesting for other musicians or how to structure it at all. I am probably over-thinking this one.
- Also working on the logistics for a new show about songwriting. This will probably show up on YouTube and as a podcast. I want to get together with my friends and talk about really specific aspects of being a creative. I think this would be fun and it’s all about making connections. It all comes back to making connections.
I guess I should get to work on something. There is a lot I want to be doing, but it can wait until tomorrow. Despite the fact that the kids are already in bed, I think I will sit on the couch and watch some cartoons. Hey chin, see you in ten years.
Don’t forgot to join our mailing list for all Brother Jack news.